Sunday 24 July 2011

Lemon Preserving continued...

I sliced the lemons and put them in the freezer last night ready to be bottled.  Annabel tells me that by freezing the lemons first, it breaks down their cell structure which speeds up the preserving process.  The first recipe I'll use the preserved lemons in will be Annabel's Chermoula Marinade.  The marinade she uses in her Spicy Chicken Skewers and just by adding sour cream or Greek yogurt to the marinade it makes a beautiful sounding dipping sauce - think I'll do both!

Once the lemons have been pickled for about a weeks Annabel says they'll be ready to use but they will improve over several months so maybe I'll wait to make the Chermoula Marinade until later in the year, a summer BBQ perhaps.
I bought these funky preserving jars at The General Trader today.  They are prefect for the preserved lemons and I bought a couple of smaller ones to make some of Annabel's Lemon Curd.
So in the jars I put the frozen lemons, lemon juice, bay leaf, salt and grapeseed oil.  Lids are on and they're ready to be left to use later in the year - can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. So impressed Catherine. Go you!
    I made the Chermoula Chicken for dinner tonight (minus the preserved lemons - recipe says they're optional) and it was sensational! Big thumbs up from Ritchie too and he's not a big fan of chicken on sticks with yoghurt. So Annabel has done well to impress him!
    Have heaps of dipping sauce leftovers for tomorrow night's fish. Yum!
    Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete