Sunday 24 July 2011

Challenge One - Preserved Lemons

The Lemons.  As a little girl I remember the lemon tree in my Granny's back garden.  Right in the center of her big yard the tree had bird baths and feeders hanging from it and always seemed to be in fruit.  The lemon tree Mum and I planted at least 10 years ago in my own back yard has been a bone of contention in our house!  Planting it fairly close to the house was quite intentional on Mum's part (a magnificent gardener by the way) as it was going to hide an ugly corner. By keeping the back of the tree pruned it would bush up nicely and be the perfect tree in our sparse back yard.  For years the poor thing never even looked like it was going to fruit, whenever a little bud appeared it was either knocked off by a basketball or just shriveled up and fell off.  The man of the house was convinced it wasn't fruiting because of it's poorly situated position in the backyard, but..... in the past 12 months it began to blossom, and really blossom!  No amount of basketball practice was going to knock off the hundreds of buds that just kept coming, and I think all the rain we have had may have contributed as well!  Now our magnificent tree is laden with fruit and I have decided my first recipe of Annabel's will be preserving some of these perfect lemons I have grown and picked myself - Annabel would be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment