Thursday 27 September 2012

Orange Lightening Cake


I love cake!  It is the undoing
 of many of the diets that I start!  When we met Annabel last week, we were discussing some of her cake recipes and she said, if we liked those, we must try the Lightening Orange Cake.

 Oh my goodness, this cake is delicious!  I love the fact that the whole orange goes in, and it's all made in the food processor.  Annabel says in her notes that "whizzing the whole orange in the food processor keeps the cake wonderfully moist and tender" - and it does!  All the ingredients are things you already have in your pantry.  I love that.  Not having to make a special trip to the supermarket to get that one ingredient that you don't just have.
The cake took an hour to cook and the smell filled the house and as Annabel says, "makes a house feel like a home".  Definitely try this one, it certainly was lightening to make, no time at all to throw it all together and is just so YUM!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, I found your blog after Annabel posted a link on her FB page :) And what a great wee discovery it has been. I'm a kiwi fan of AL and have 5 of her books. She pretty much taught me to cook . . . well, certainly to love it anyway. Since she's had such a big role to play in my food journey, I had thought about coping the Julie and Julia idea and blogging about cooking her recipes . . . but it looks like you bet me to it! It has been a joy to read about your experiences - many of the recipes I have made and its interesting to compare my experiences to yours. But there are many i haven't made yet that I've been meaning to - your blog is giving me that extra bit of motivation to try them out. And I especially liked the banquet you had where everyone brought one of her dishes - what a great idea. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, thanks so much for your lovely words! It has been so much fun doing this blog, I only wish I had more hours in the day to do more! Have you had a chance to meet Annabel at one of her book launches yet? If not, you must try to. She is such a genuinely warm person who so freely shared her life journey and her love of food. She's inspirational and makes you feel like you are just one of her friends! When I started my blog, it was just for a bit of fun and something I though my friends might follow. To actually have people I've never met, from different parts of the world look at it, is quite exciting. Since it's inception I've had over 4,000 people have a look - amazing! So thanks again for your lovely words, I'm so thrilled you will keep reading my blog! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear from you Catherine. No, I haven't had a chance to meet Annabel yet, however she is currently touring NZ and a friend and I are planning to attend her Book and Bubbles event in Wellington in a few weeks time. Should be a lovely evening :) I'm really looking forward to it. I made the Orange Lightening Cake shortly after first commenting here. It was tasty, but I hadn't taken enough care to blitz the orange into really small pieces . . . the large chunks of orange peel through the cake were a bit disconcerting. Have made a note for next time! Have you tried the Turkish flat bread yet? Thats a winner in my book - I've made it twice already and turned it into crostini as she suggests. All YUM.

    ReplyDelete